Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Asturias

It was an unseasonably warm afternoon as the late slanting rays of Spring sun diffused through the tent walls, fingering the hat as it sat perched on a dresser.

It was a delectable concoction of ivory sinamay, trimmed with satin, a full blown white rose, and feather tips.  The whole was perched in calculated grace behind the hat's brim, which turned up in front at the exact angle to blend demure with coyness.

She remembered the day that hat had been given to her, in a wonderfully small and cramped Milliner's shop on Main Street in historic Ferndale.  She was driving up the Northern California coast with her Grampy.  They had stopped there and he told her to pick out any hat she liked.  It was a seldom in a lifetime little moment of fairytale wishes come true happiness that is often shared by Grandfathers and their grand girls - at least, the best kind that know how to do things right.  The hat was sitting amongst dozens of others, but they both know it was the one.

When the trip was over, she had worn that hat on the flight home, right through security and the stares of strangers and to her seat.  People watching was even more delicious from under the brim of that cover - conversations were started by grandmothers who remembered the old days when hat wearing was an art.  Elderly gentleman smiled appreciatively.  


Now, years later, there it sat as the sun dappled walls waved gently and tulle swirled across the worktable in massive folds.  She was spreading and smoothing it into place, pinning and gathering as the tulle slowly took shape.  
She took the hat up and it seemed to hold the essence of something she had been trying to grasp;
Don't be afraid.  Live fearlessly, live beautifully, and it will all come to pass.



This outfit is a little puzzling.  To me, it has whispers of a Spanish Doña swirled together with a lavish helping of Alice in Wonderland.  I think it's the shape of the hat and the vaquero-like turn of the scarf.
It really doesn't make sense together, but I'm having fun with the possibilities.  
Sometimes it doesn't have to make sense.  At times, it's through the bewildering that we must carve our path of sanity.


OUTFIT DETAILS:
Tulle Skirt // Kellie Falconer Design
Cardigan // Tulle
Aqua scarf // Fabric.com
vintage belt + heels // thrifted

pleated poppy

25 comments:

  1. Wow what an adorable outfit! That skirt is super cute...think I need one.

    Tiff Ima
    Style Honestly
    $30 Shabby Apple Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I believe every girl needs one at least once in her life:)

      Delete
  2. What a dreamy photo shoot/outfit! Your tulle skirt is absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alison! And thanks again for hosting your linkup!

      Delete
  3. Much too cute. The outfit looks pretty to me just as it is. Who cares about what ought to go together or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Fashion rules are an oxymoron... :)

      Delete
  4. I love the way you captured the specialness of wearing your hat! You look so elegant!

    Brigid
    the middle sister and singer

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I love the hat and I "miss" those days when wearing hats was just the norm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so do I... I think we should start an organization to bring back hat wearing for both ladies and gentlemen. Amen.

      Delete
  6. cutest shoes ever. the end.

    I'm learning to play asturias on the piano, so this post is very happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear kindred spirit, so am I! That made me happy;D

      Delete
  7. I second the motion to bring back hat-wearing! And while we're at it, let's bring back balls, too. :-D

    Cute outfit, Dahling--very 1950s! I'm drooling over your scarf--my favorite shade of aqua and roses? *Heads over to Fabric.com*

    God bless,
    ~"Tom"~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely with you on those sentiments... :smile:

      Delete
  8. Fun, elegant, beautiful and just so summer perfect! I love the hat and blue tulle combination. It reminds me of the perfect outfit to wear to a game of Cricket where high tea is served at the end to celebrate. So May Day perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that image! Now I need to find a Cricket match...

      Delete
  9. I think the outfit is ethereal! Love it, and your storytelling.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! I'm so glad you stopped by - I really love your blog and style.

      Delete
  10. So beautiful Kellie....it looks so fancy!!!

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just gorgeous! I love a good tulle skirt and your shoes and scarf are just darling!
    Visiting from the link-up
    Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply perfection:) How lovely you are, Kellie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look so cute! Love the tulle skirt!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO pretty! You look like such a lady! Alex

    ReplyDelete

You're about to make my day! Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I absolutely love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...