linkshomeblogaboutshopsponsor

Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Beck Mainliner Studio Tour


After the sudden demise of my home in the Wall Tent studio, everything got moved over to my brother's 1945 Beck Mainliner bus, which had been his quarters since purchasing and restoring it.  As it worked out, he moved up to town to be near his new job just a few weeks before, and it was waiting and empty.

Here's a link to his chronicle of the restoration process over the last three years. Naturally, it's got a bit of a vintage makeover since I've moved in!

I have to say I have a sort of phobia of living in narrow, rectangular, trailer-shaped spaces, as I've lived in them on and off for at least half of my life and am biased.  Against them, that is.  I just have a thing for four square walls... they're special.  But in spite of that, and in spite of the risk I run daily of being labeled a Bus Troll (for the uninitiated, that's local terminology for dwellers of busses), I am happy to say that it's wonderful in here.  I miss the blissful crackle of my wood stove and hum of my tea kettle, but waking up in the morning to a warm room and knowing you won't have to give another thought to variables such as weather, precipitation, newspaper, screws, pitch, ash, and a thousand other things to keep warm all day is incredibly luxurious. 
Also, looking out of the window is something I had almost forgotten to miss, living in the tent, but it's really pretty awesome.

One of your sweet comments on the last wall tent post seemed to capture what I was feeling about the whole upheaval...
I felt like my little world was some special book, dropped in the woods and drowned in the rain. 
But like most things in this world, we're given a chance to take the future up and repair what seemed lost... that book has been taken up, dried out, and opened a beautiful new chapter. 
God is so good.

20 comments:

  1. Looking good, you Bus Troll, you! ;D
    Love ya!
    ~me~

    ReplyDelete
  2. All looks so cozy and functional inside your new vintage maison ! It truly was the perfect landing spot following the unexpected weather that drowned the Wall Tent Homestead. Given the harsh winters of Idaho, it is good to hear that your life is now easier and relaxed inside the bus as the winter drags on. Perhaps an electric tea kettle is the solution for that necessary hot cup of tea since you no longer have the wood stove? Loved this tour and it all looks to be perfect for you at this time! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An electric kettle is exactly what I'm thinking! On the lookout for one. I see them every once in awhile, and the next one is mine:)

      Delete
  3. Looks like you've put together a very cozy little space for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so comfy cozy.
    I love your crocheted blanket.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear things are going well in your new home! It looks quite cozy!

    P.S. I like your cherry embroidery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new studio looks so lovely! :) Somehow you manage to make whereever you are so beautiful and inspiring. God bless you on your journey through the stage of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. New chapters, how sad the reason might be, are somewhat exciting as well, aren't they? Hope you and your tent will be reunited soon, but until then the bus looks kind of cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your new place, Kellie. It's awfully sad about your tent, that would be so hard to deal with, but I REALLY like your bus. It's ADORABLE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Treskie--of course it's adorable--Kellie lives there! ;-)

    Looks like you're beginning to settle into your new home, Kellie-lass. Thanks for the tour! I agree with my fellow commenters here--it looks so cozy and homelike!

    And don't worry, you couldn't be a troll of any sort! Perhaps you can think of the bus as a weather-proof upgrade to the Wall Tent (or at least your Winter quarters), and yourself as Bus Queen. Hee.

    God bless,
    ~"Tom"~

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just so cool. Thats all I can say!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sad to hear about you getting washed out of your tent, but that bus is really cool. Your brother's resuscitation is quite impressive. Is it currently running? It looks like it's sitting on blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Yes, he did a truly amazing job. It was driven to the spot where it now sits, blocked up to make it level, but it's been here for over two years. I expect it still runs, but might need some tweaking...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why is it that anything that is NOT a house is so much cooler? Your bus looks absolutely amazing. I so want to go and move in!

    Oh, and I don't know if you do these or not, but I have given you a blog award, if you'd like to accept it.

    http://katrinadelallo.blogspot.com/2013/02/tags-blog-awards-and-phantom-of-opera.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. *Squeee!* I love your new home. It's so cute and cozy! You have everything set up so invitingly...it looks awesome.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your talent and your brother's in repairing things, making the most out of a place that seems unwelcoming and making it looks cozy, clean and that even gives me the thought that I'd love to experience a night in there (wheather it be the wall tent or this bus....) Great job, seriously !
    Blessings from France !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhhh, this is SOOOO COOL!!! ;-)
    Do stay warm!!!
    Rebecca of "Whimsey Keith"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, it sure looks cozy. You've been provided for. It's quite an amazing place to stay, I think! I hope it will inspire you in your further endeavours. And congratulations to your brother on the successful reconstruction.
    Also, I cannot deny that I love that your new home is blue and white, and maybe would even pass for TARDIS blue... :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. When we lived in Idaho, Mom would call and be upset because her TV said it was real cold in Idaho!. I would reply, "We don't live in a tipi!" I guess you could not say that.
    We spent our nights in our pyramid canvas tent all summer and fall, after the rendezvous at Hudlow Meadow. We were happy to put it away after the Indian Summer. I do not know how you did for as long as you did. You are much stronger the we ever were.
    Love the Bus. It fits you very well.
    Linda and John

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. Those pictures are cool. =)
    ~Aidyl

    ReplyDelete

You're about to make my day! Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I absolutely love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...