linkshomeblogaboutshopsponsor

Thursday, May 17, 2012

From the Kitchen | Matilda's Oatmeal Muffins

Oatmeal every morning - that's the general rule at our house.  Thankfully, we all like oatmeal... for the most part.  But when too much of a good thing starts to become a rather bad thing, it's time to get creative.

Our oatmeal consists of rolled oats soaked overnight the Scottish way (I'll do a recipe for it sometime!) topped with almonds, raisins, and honey.  Occasionally milk, and... I'll pull out the brown sugar every once in awhile to indulge;)

Yesterday morning, however, my sister Matilda decided to shake things up a little.  I came in to find her mixing the cooked oatmeal into a bowl, along with some flour, milk, eggs, and brown sugar.  Some raisins made it into the bowl, too, and I suggested a tablespoon of baking powder and 1/2 a cup of coconut oil to finish it off.

Spooned into muffin papers, baked at 350, and eaten warm.

She and I don't know exactly how much of everything went into the bowl, but I'm making a stab at it for you to try, if you feel so inclined.  I'm thinking these would make a fabulous picnic breakfast!

~_____ Baked Oatmeal Muffins _____~

7 C cooked oatmeal
4 C milk
3 eggs
3 C flour
1 C brown sugar (sweeten to taste)
1Tb baking powder
1/2 C oil
2-3 C raisins

Mix oatmeal, milk and eggs.  Combine dry ing, add raisins. Stir all together, and spoon into muffin papers 3/4 full.
Bake at 350 for approx. 12-15 min.
Makes around 30 muffins.

(batter should be just runny enough to spoon into papers, not too thick)


Take that, squishy oatmeal! 
What do you usually have for breakfast?

8 comments:

  1. I think Matilda had a stroke of pure genius this morning!! My husband and I eat oatmeal in one form or another every morning too. We love it anyway you fix it. I love to make oatmeal pancakes with real maple syrup on the weekends. They are wonderful when we have local fresh blueberries to add to the batter in the summer!! And that sweet hand towel with the embroidered bird?? Love that!! Maybe Matilda will open a B&B one day and make yummy healthy breakfasts for guests?? Sign me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tilda is the Queen of Breakfast!
    Such a good little cook - those omelets she made when I was there were delicious! :)

    As you already know, I'm an oatmeal hater, but as I very much enjoy oatmeal cookies I think I'd enjoy Tilda's muffins, too.
    Lovely pictures and post, dear!

    Love ya,
    ~me~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look yummy! I was hungry before I looked at this post. Now I am even more so. Pretty pictures!

    ~Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. We generally have granola for breakfast, though sometimes Bro and I'll have a piece of toast. On Sundays--if we have time--we'll whip up a batch of Mom's gluten-free pancakes with hot strawberry sauce over them. Yum!

    I keep saying there must be a way to use up leftover oatmeal--this looks like a good way! You might try adding a little cinnamon to the batter, too. ;-)

    See you Saturday!!!
    God bless,
    ~"Wild Rose"~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those muffins look good! I like to eat oatmeal in the mornings, too. Except I eat it the German way: Uncooked oatmeal with GERMAN hot-chocolate and cold milk.

    Don't say "eeeeeewwww" if you haven't tried it!!! My boyfriend, who can't stand oatmeal, eats it the German way! ☺

    -Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm...I might have to take a risk and try that recipe. Those actually look good. Most of the time at our house we have whatever we can find in the morning. Whether that's a cooked cereal, a dry cereal in milk, waffles, biscuits, bacon, whatever. I'm always looking out for a good breakfast recipe, because sometimes breakfast can be the most boring meal of the day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Kelly
    Those look really yummy. I will have to try making them sometime. My family loves oatmeal to, but we have discovered steal-cut oatmeal. It's wonderfully delicious. It does take a long time to cook, but it is worth it.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winnie - oh, oatmeal pancakes are the best! Matilda is quite good at those, too... A B&B would be amazing. :grin:

    Tasha - she sure is=)

    Wild Rose - Mmm, I do love granola. Cinnamon is a great idea!

    Oh, Iris - that sounds amazing! my sisters love to eat oats in cold milk for a snack, and adding GERMAN hot chocolate to the equation is making me faint. Must try that... as soon as I can get a hold of the proper chocolate;D

    Purity Leigh - have fun! Be sure to experiment with the measurements till it looks right - this recipe is totally winged;)

    Kimberley - steel-cut oats are so delicious! We've had them in the past, and we alternate between rolled and steel cut by the 50 lb. bag.

    ReplyDelete

You're about to make my day! Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I absolutely love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...